Medina Central School District revitalized their campus by working with Gordon W. Jones Associates, Architects and Fisher to provide designs for updated athletic facilities and to enhance vehicle mobilization through the site.
Site improvements included:
- Remodel the high school regulation-sized football field – added new turf, underdrain stormwater collection system, and additional bleacher seating.
- Athletic track was re-surfaced and added bleacher seating.
- Bleacher seating added to the tennis courts.
- Baseball fields were regraded and incorporated a stormwater collection system.
- New road added to the campus connecting Oak Orchard Elementary School to Wide Jr High School Road and Mustang Drive.
- New parking lot added behind Oak Orchard Elementary School.
- New playground behind Oak Orchard Elementary School.
- New Band Storage Building added off of the south corner of the Medina High School parking lot.
Fisher provided site design support, stormwater management design, stormwater pollution prevention planning (SWPPP), stormwater permitting support, and SWPPP inspection services.
Stormwater design features included:
- Existing stormwater infrastructure modifications – design modifications to the existing stormwater conveyance system to accommodate runoff from precipitation.
- Football field stormwater catchment system – series of underdrain pipes below the field, designed to collect stormwater and direct it to the existing stormwater conveyance system.
- Bioretention and extended detention pond with jellyfish mechanical filter structure – detains and filters stormwater runoff from the additional football field bleachers, additional Oak Orchard Elementary School parking lot, and portion of new campus road.
- Dense turf cover vegetated filter strips – allow stormwater runoff from a portion of the new campus road to permeate into the ground.
- Rain gardens – allow stormwater runoff from athletic track bleacher concrete pads to infiltrate into the ground.
- Infiltration trenches – allow stormwater runoff from tennis court bleacher concrete pads to infiltrate into the ground.
- Baseball field stormwater underdrain catchment system – captures stormwater from the baseball field and provides an opportunity for infiltration into the ground before contributing to the existing stormwater conveyance system.
- Playground underdrain system – allow for a new playground to drain stormwater into the existing stormwater conveyance system.
- Dry swale – allows stormwater runoff from the new Band Storage Building and portion of an existing adjacent parking lot to infiltrate into the ground and reduce contribution to the existing nearby stormwater detention area.